Pages

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Fernando, the Most Interesting Tree in the World

Senior year, my closest friend was a tree.

In my defense, this is no ordinary run of the mill tree, it was ginormous. This tree looked even bigger because it stood in a teeny front yard . There was a nice brick wall behind it, framed by a Spanish style iron gate.

Fernando the tree was very handsome, and did I mention ginormous? He was a bit standoffish but this made him all the more mysterious to me.

I spent many hours sitting high in his branches.  I carried most of the conversation because he was so damn cool and aloof.

We had something special-- alas the neighborhood found it weird, I know this because I overheard my mom saying that the neighbor thought I was a spooky kid. Tree haters.

Recently my folks and I were driving in our old neighborhood and spun by the place so I could "see my old buddy".

 I'm not sure if he remembered me-- couldn't really tell. Same old Fernando, playing it close to the chest.



Prom 1977
 I'll save the last dance for you, Fernando...


No comments:

Post a Comment